Neumarkt church of St Thomae Centuariensis, Merseburg
The Romanesque cruciform basilica is a landmark on the Romanesque Road tourist trail. An unusual feature is the knotted column on the main porch. The church was extensively renovated in the 1990s.
The mostly originally preserved Romanesque building was first mentioned in 1188. The church, which was consecrated by Thomas Becket of
Canterbury, was originally a three-aisled, crossshaped basilica with a western double tower front. The late-Romanesque main portal with its knotted columns is a rare architectural sight. Restored after years of misuse and consecrated again in 1995, it is now a treasure of sacred contemporary art.