The Abbey Church of Zscheiplitz
The Abbey Church of St. Boniface in Zscheiplitz was built in the late 11th century, perhaps even as late as the early 12th century. It is an example of a so-called choir-tower church: the square tower is located at the eastern end, and forms the net-vaulted chancel in the lower level. This is enclosed by a semi-circular apse with a double-arch tracery window. To the west follows the very elongated, rectangular nave, which was again extended in the first half of the 13th century. A nuns’ gallery was added during this time. Below the gallery, a round-arched double arcade opens up. The lower space later served as a family tomb for the owners of the estate.
At around the same time, a chapel-like room was added to the north side of the church, while the east side was again furnished with a semicircular apse, and the west side too, with a gallery above a double arcade. This extension has early Gothic windows and doors. The bell storey in the tower features round-arched twin sound openings.
The only valuable piece amidst the older furnishings is a Gothic limestone relief. It shows Jesus Christ as Man of Sorrows. This work probably dates from around 1500.
The church, which fell ever more into disrepair after 1945, was solemnly reopened on the 13th November 1994 after years of commitment from friars.
Today, the church is used for concerts and weddings (Freyburg parish).